Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ben Stein is a complete and utter douchebag

Oh, Ben Stein. How I miss the glory days when your monotone delivery added humor to movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Visine Commercials. When you had a television show that just involved you outsmarting contestants who attempted to get "your money". These things did so well to make everyone forget that you were Nixon's speechwriter and accused Bob Woodward of inventing Deep Throat just to make Nixon look bad.

By and large, Stein's comedic delivery channeled through a Stephen Wright monotone with that aura of "I'm totally smarter than you" made it so no one remembered that, in your actual substantive career, you weren't the most admirable character.

Fortunately, Stein decided to remind everyone with his creation of "Expelled". I'm not linking to it because I'm not going to promote it in any way shape or form.

Now, I'm not a scientist by trade. I have a more than passing interest in science and always have, I read Dawkins and pay attention to scientific advancements and generally keep up on things. But when it comes to the really deep stuff, I leave that to the experts. So whenever you're done here, please peruse this series by Scientific American to understand just what's wrong with Intelligent Design from a biologist's perspective.

My point, though, is to take that famed and loved internet blogger tactic and tear into something without having seen it. For the record, the only way I will see this movie is if I can sneak into it or someone hands me a bootlegged copy. I won't accept a free ticket, because I don't want my presence in the theater contributing a single dollar to this pile.

- more -

No comments: