Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Community Reacts

The movers and shakers of the LGBT community tell The Advocate how they feel about the California supreme court's landmark decision May 15 to legalize same-sex marriage in the state.

The Community Reacts: Sally Field

The Community Reacts: Sally Field

I know there will be a lot more work to do before all the people all across America accept this ruling as right and fair -- but I so hope that our country is beginning to change even before we elect a new administration.

  PETE WENTZ (GETTY) | ADVOCATE.COMThe Community Reacts: Pete Wentz

I am happy to get married [to Ashlee Simpson on Saturday] in the same state where the state supreme court recognizes the union of gay/lesbian couples. It seems like we could have a hell of a bash as a joint anniversary over in West Hollywood next year!

 

LANCE BASS (GETTY) | ADVOCATE.COM The Community Reacts: Lance Bass

I am thrilled that the California supreme court has come to realize that you can't outlaw love and has chosen to join the state of Massachusetts in setting a historical precedent in its demonstration that all loving relationships deserve the same level of respect and recognition under the law, regardless of the gender of those involved.

 

Alicia Banks (provided by author) | Advocate.com The Community Reacts: Alicia Banks

Oakland, Calif., is my favorite city on Earth… Now I revere California even more as gay marriage has finally been legalized there!!! The coolest gay people I have ever met live in California. Kudos to California's supreme court justices who have now made it possible for gay couples to live as full citizens with fully equal rights.

Civil rights are like pregnancy. They never exist partially. One is pregnant or not. One is married or not. Period. Marriage secures assets, insurance benefits, wills, income, tax breaks, pensions, property, custody, peace, and overall quality of life. Gay bashers are lewdly and exclusively obsessed with gay sex. They absolutely ignore all gay love. God is love. All true love is sacred. God blesses all true love.

I have only two phobias: marriage and divorce. I will probably never get married, as I have been way too traumatized by the droves of divorces I witness… But, if I ever change my mind, I will swiftly return to California to get married…

Thank God for California!!!!!!!

Sheila Kuehl (Getty) | Advocate.com The Community Reacts: California State Senator Sheila Kuehl

The Advocate: What was your reaction when you heard the decision?
Kuehl: I was completely overjoyed, and so were all of my Democratic colleagues. Everyone came and hugged me and [Senator Carol] Migden and [Senator Christine] Kehoe.

How did you find out?
About one minute to 10 a.m., people started gathering around my desk, and when we were able to get the document, we started going through [Chief Justice Ronald] George's opinion. Then at about 11 a.m., the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee was on the phone with Justice George, and so I got a chance to get on the phone with him and I got to thank him. Then, Justice Joyce Kennedy was in the building, speaking in favor of an appointment nominee, so I went down to the chambers and spoke with her too.

This must be particularly gratifying after the state legislature passed a marriage bill twice only to be vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger both times.
I thought it was generous and wonderful of the governor that literally 10 minutes after the opinion was announced, he issued a statement backing the opinion of the court. He said that he would uphold the opinion, and he said he would come out in opposition to any attempts to strike it down.

How are you going to celebrate this victory?
I already have tickets to the theater, so I can't go to the big party in West Hollywood. But I felt like I got the best of my world today because my friends in the legislature were all here. We went through all the gay bills together over the past decade -- the students bill, the hate-crimes amendment, the fair employment act. We've got a great group here.

- more -

No comments: