Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ready for hot, steamy stories from..Thoman Mann? (Yes, that Thomas Mann)

Billy Collins: A boy went to camp and made a plastic lanyard for his mother. You may not have been That Kid, but bad you if you don't read this poem.

- May 5, 2008 -

Dear Friends,

I've never read "Buddenbrooks" (736 pages).

Ditto "The Magic Mountain" (720 pages).

And though I was once young and clear-eyed, I never even tackled "Doctor Faustus" (544 pages).

But I didn't want to face the Lord of Literature at the Library in the Clouds without having read Thomas Mann, so I picked up a copy of "Death in Venice and Seven Other Stories" --- a snip at 400 pages. Still not Mitch Albom, but I figured I didn't need to read all eight stories to get a feel for Mann.

I read all eight stories.

Literary excellence and cultural relevance may not be enough to convince you to read these stories.

Try this: Three of them provide the kind of pleasure not regularly available. They're dirty. Hot. Sick.

Do I have your attention? Then please click to the site and read on.

Reading before Tuesday noon? Click here.

Reading after Tuesday noon? Click here.

-- Jesse Kornbluth, for HeadButler.com

No comments: