Monday, December 29, 2008

We Owe Sarah Palin An Apology

As much as it pains me to admit it, we owe Sarah Palin an apology. And not only Sarah Palin, but, the entire state of Alaska.

It all stems from announcement last week that Sarah Palin's daughter's baby's father's mother had been arrested in Wasilla.

If you haven't been following along, or have misplaced your Palin scorecard, Sherry Johnston is the mother of Levi Johnston. Levi Johnston is the father of Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol's unborn baby.

So, when I heard that Johnson had been arrested at her home as part of an undercover narcotics investigation, I thought what I'm guessing 95% percent of those reading this thought. She was arrested for crystal meth. In fact, I bet she's running a meth lab in her house. All of my friends thought so. In fact, 23/6, Huffington's comedy site, even ran a poll about the likelihood of her house being a meth lab.

Little did we know how wrong we were. It turns out, she wasn't running a meth lab. In fact, it wasn't meth at all. The drug in question was the prescription pain killer Oxycontin.

And what led me to believe that Sherry Johnston was a toothless, drooling meth junkie/ dealer? Prejudice. My own prejudice towards small towns and the goobers that live in small towns.

Sarah Palin actually addressed this prejudice in an interview. Take a look.

Sarah Palin is right. It was wrong of me to automatically assume that it was crystal meth. Of course Alaskans can be addicted to other drugs! And they should be! I mean, what else is there to do in Wasilla other than drugs? And residents of Wasilla should be especially addicted to Oxycontin! I mean, it's known on the street as "Hillbilly Heroin". So, it's marketed right to them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-filipowicz/we-owe-sarah-palin-an-apo_b_152709.html

No comments: