Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Illinois doctor offers free treatment in recession

 
One west-central Illinois doctor says he has no intention of cutting off care to his patients, even if economic woes mean they have to stop paying him.

In a small ad posted in the Greene County Shopper in March 2009, Dr. Gary L. Turpin offered this notice:

"For the duration of this calendar year, I will treat, free of charge, my regular patients who have lost their jobs or health insurance due to the current recession."

Turpin, 71, said he considered the ad the best way to get the word to every patient.

"I didn't see it as selfless, but just my way to do my part during this economic crisis," Turpin said. "My patients have been very good to me, and I wanted a way to be good to them. It's nothing new to me to take care of my patients."

Turpin said he treats between 30 and 60 patients a day at his practice, which includes one nurse and three secretaries. He said he decided to make offer free care after watching President Barack Obama give a speech asking Americans to do what they could to help each other during the recession.

The doctor doesn't want patients to skipping out on treatment over concerns about mounting medical bills.

"So, my sincere hope is that none of my patients will need to take advantage of my offer," Turpin said. "But I am here if they do."

http://www.journalstandard.com/state_news/x1331537248/Illinois-doctor-offers-free-treatment-in-recession

No comments: