Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Saga Of The Protest Song

by Mike Ragogna
 

About a month ago, while running some errands in the car with my nephew, we were listening to one of several interchangeable Clear Channel stations and by about the fifth song, I was amazed at how much this "rock" did not. Whatever, I remained smiley and quiet so the young'un could enjoy his ride but predictably, by the next guitar-driven slice of angst, I could no longer contain myself and proceeded to abuse it with fervor. Being a good sport, my nephew joined-in, but quickly surfed for a neutral station.

He found some classic rock, his education of the genre the result of guitar lessons from his 48-year-old teacher and songs featured on his favorite show, Supernatural. All was well until two songs later when it was HIS turn to abuse the music, pointing out many undeniable Spinal Tap moments. But then the next song played--CCR's "Fortunate Son." Though I knew he was familiar with the recording, this time, something was different. I caught my nephew focusing intensely on the song. His being 15, I figured maybe the song's rebellious tone had gotten his attention. But it was something more...he was asking questions about its political lyrics and theme.

Realizing I was witnessing his possible political awakening, I began what we dubbed "Mike's Eternal Saga Of The Protest Song" in which I detailed the concept. I told him folkies, singer-songwriters, soul artists, rockers and many popsters used their records for spreading socially-conscious messages, especially during the '60s and '70s. I touched on the turbulence of those times, eras filled with Kennedy assassinations, Martin Luther King, Nixon, the Vietnam war, Woodstock, Kent State, and so much more. Having heard "What's Goin' On," "Blowin' In The Wind," "Big Yellow Taxi," "Get Together," "For What It's Worth," "Ohio" and "Teach Your Children" throughout his young life, he was no stranger to the genre, though he now was fascinated with how artists could be the "voice of the people," an empowering concept for a 15-year-old would-be guitar hero.

- more -

 

No comments: